Cappa GAA Weekly News

O’Dwyer Steel West U21A Hurling Final:

Cappawhite/Treacys 1-14(17)  Clonoulty/Rossmore 1-14(17) AET

Clonoulty/Rossmore and Cappawhite/Treacys must meet again after 80 minutes of hurling failed to separate them in the O’Dwyer Steel West U21A Hurling final played in Cappawhite on Sunday last. The teams were level five times as the lead went back and forth with no more than three points between the sides at any stage. The game was moved to Cappawhite on Friday night as Leahy Park Cashel was unavailable. The game was played in good dry crisp conditions.

Clonoulty/Rossmore played with the advantage of the breeze in the first half and Sean Maher opened the scoring after two minutes of play when he pointed from a free. Both sides cancelled each other out early on and with a long layoff since their last game scores were hard to come by as both teams tried to get the radar right. Cappawhite/Treacys started to operate with a two man full forward line with Russell Quirke moving out the field. He immediately won a ball went on a run and levelled the game with just over seven minutes played. Riann Doody then had the combination in the lead when he hit a massive free from half way. With almost a quarter of an hour played the teams were all square when Sean Maher again pointed from a placed ball. He immediately followed this with Clonoulty/Rossmore’s first point from play and then Paul Hayes opened up a two point lead when he got his first and Clonoulty/Rossmore’s fourth point of the game. Clonoulty/Rossmore were finding their scores a bit easier at this point. Paddy Carey responded for the combination but Michael Ryan and Jimmy Maher responded for Clonoulty/Rossmore as they now opened up three point lead. Clonoulty/Rossmore could have been further ahead but for some great defending by Sean Ryan (w) to deny a certain goal from Sean Maher. Another Riann Doody free and a point from play from Sean Ryan R saw just the minimum between the sides as the half time whistle sounded. Clonoulty/Rossmore ahead 0-6 to 0-5.

Sean Maher extended Clonoulty/Rossmore’s lead almost immediately upon the resumption when pointed a free from just inside his own half. Patrick Carey responded at the other end when pointed from a free right on the side-line. The combination could have been ahead but missed two crucial chances in quick succession. Clonoulty/Rossmore extended their advantage to two points once more when Jimmy Maher pointed from a side-line cut. Paddy Carey again kept the combination in touch when he pointed from a placed ball. Riann Doody then won a ball to set up Russell Quirke who found himself bearing down on goal as the combination lead for just the second time in the game 1-7 to 0-8. Sean Maher again responded for Clonoulty/Rossmore with a pointed free. With just a little over ten minutes remaining of normal time Sean Maher added another point from a placed ball to level the game for a third time. Sean Ryan R pointed to restore the combination but again Sean Maher found the range from a placed ball to cancel this out. Both sides continued to create chances but failed to make them count as John McCormack blew for full time and so extra-time beckoned.

Cappawhite/Treacys started the first half of extra-time the better, with Russell Quirke pointing three minutes in. Quirke then turned provider when he set up Paddy Carey. Matt Feehan caught the resulting puck out went on a run, made his space and put the combination three clear. Dillon Quirke responded for Clonoulty/Rossmore as the combination lead at half time of extra-time 1-11 to 0-12.

Sean Maher added another from a placed ball at the start of the second half but this was immediately cancelled out by Riann Doody. Clonoulty/Rossmore were then awarded a free just outside the 21 yard line and Sean Maher decided to go for goal and he made no mistake as Clonoulty/Rossmore hit the front again. Riann Doody hit another long range free as the teams were level for the fourth time. With three minutes of extra-time remaining Kevin Stapleton pointed for the combo after some great work from Sean Ryan R. Clonoulty/Rossmore were under pressure to find a score as the combination tried to hold out. They won a ‘65 in injury time and Sean Maher who had been superb, levelled up the game for a fifth time. Indeed Clonoulty/Rossmore could have snatched it at the end but for some great defending by the combo to stop them getting their shot. 
A draw probably a fair result with both teams probably feeling they had chances to win it.

Best for Cappawhite/Treacys were Sean Ryan W, Sean Ryan R, Riann Doody and Russell Quirke.
Best for Clonoulty/Rossmore were Ronan Heffernan, Sean Maher, Jimmy Maher and Patrick Hennessy.

Cappawhite/Treacys: Shane Stapleton, Paul Ryan, Willie Mackey, Davey Stapleton, Andy O’Brien, Sean Ryan(w), Emmet Ryan, Sean Ryan R(0-2), Pat Deegan, Matt Feehan(0-1), Kevin Stapleton(0-1), Rian Doody(0-4(0-3f)), Paddy Carey(0-4(0-3f)), Russell Quirke(1-2), Brian Carew
Subs Used: Enna Heffernan, Shane Fahey, Brian Carew, Tom Coughlan, Dylan Fahy. Kevin Stapleton

Clonoulty/Rossmore: David Egan, James Ryan (W), James Horan, James Ryan (C), Denis Murphy, Ronan Heffernan, Odhran Quirke, Enda Heffernan, Shane Kinane, Dillon Quirke(0-1), Sean Maher(1-9(1-6f)), Jimmy Maher(0-2(0-1sl)), Patrick Hennessy, Paul Hayes(0-1), Michael Ryan(0-1),
Subs Used: Shaun Coffey, James Hammersley

Under 21 Hurling

Cappawhite/Treacys  3-13  Cashel King Cormacs 0-10

The Cappawhite/Treacys combo had a good win in the West Under 21A semi-final against Cashel King Cormacs in Dundrum on Sunday last 23/11/2015. With the conditions good for the time of year Cappawhite/Treacys played into a slight breeze in the first half.

Cashel were the first to raise the white flag with a pointed free with a minute gone in the game. The combo replied in the third minute when Brian Carey played Paddy Carey in for his 1st score of the game. Cashel were next to score a minute later to go ahead again but  Riann Doody had the game level again in the next minute when played in by Paddy Carey. Cappawhite/Treacys then began to take control of the game with the defence winning the battle against their opponents. Paddy Carey  put us ahead on six minutes with a free. Pat Deegan scored a fine point a minute later before Brian Carey put three points between the sides in the eight minute. Cashel replied with a free on sixteen minutes but a free from Paddy Carey a minute later restored a 3 point advantage for the combo. Cashel added a point from a free on twenty-one minutes but Kevin Stapleton again replied within a minute. The combo got their first goal on 24 minutes when Riann Doody won the ball on the wing, played the ball to Paddy Carey who played a fine pass to Russell Quirke who made no mistake with the shot to put daylight between the sides. Two minutes later Paddy Carey again put over a free after Russell was fouled to leave 1-04 between the sides. Cashel got their fifth point of the half in the 28th minute but Cappa/Treacys had the final score of the half to go in leading with the score at 1-09 to 0-5.

Both sides were finding it hard to make an impact in the second half and there was over thirty-five minutes gone when Cashel were first to score with a pointed free. The Cappa/Treracys reply was almost immediate with Sean Ryan(R)raising the green flag with a fine shot to the net which put 2-03 between the sides. On 38 minutes Cashel again scored a point from play. The game was more or less ended as a contest on 41 minutes when the Cashel goalkeeper allowed the ball fall from his grasp for Brian Carey finish to the net for the combos third goal. Sean Ryan(R) scored an excellent point from  inside his own half on 47 minutes to leave the score at 3-10 to 0-7 followed by a Riann Doody free a minute later. Cashel got the next two points of the game before Kevin Stapleton scored our next point on 58 minutes. With the game entering injury time Cashel got their 10th point but the combo were to get the last say in the game with Russell Quirke putting a free over the bar from a free on 62nd minute to leave the final score at 3-13 to 0-10.

It was an excellent overall team performance with our goalie dealing with whatever came his way. The fullback line were very solid as were the halfback line with Sean Ryan(w) without question putting in a man of the match display. Our mid-fielders were on top throughout the game and up front all our forwards showed some lovely skill which brought some well taken scores. We now meet Clonoulty/Rossmore in the final and need have no fears with the going on todays display and hopefully can bring back to back titles to the combo.

Team: S Stapleton(ST), P Ryan(ST), W Mackey(ST), D Stapleton(C), A O Brien(ST), SRyan(w)(C), E Ryan(R)(ST), P Deegan(ST)(0-01), S Ryan(R)(ST)(1-01), R Doody(C)(0-02)(1F), K Stapleton(C)(0-02), M Feehan(ST), P Carey(ST)(0-05)(4F), R Quirke(C)(1-01)(1F) and B Carey(ST)(1-01). Subs S Fahey(ST) for P Carey, B Carew(C) for B Carey and E Heffernan(C) for R Doody.

Cappawhite/Sean Treacys 1-04 Clonoulty/Rossmore  2-17

The Cappawhite/Treacys combo were beaten in a game played in very poor conditions in Sean Tracy Park, Tipperary on Sunday 15/11/2015. The 1st half was a fairly even competition with  both sides struggling to come to terms with the strong breeze. Clonoulty were first off mark after five minutes with a point from a free. Kevin Stapleton replied with an equaliser almost immediately. Clonoulty got the next two points with Kevin again scoring for the combo to leave the score at 0-03 to 0-02 in favour of Clonoulty. Both defences were on top at this stage and scores were hard to come by for both sides. Clonoulty were again next to score with another point after 12 minutes. The combo eventually went ahead on 15 minutes when a high ball into the full forward was expertly caught and dispatched to the net by Shane Fahey. This was followed by a free from Paddy Carey on 20 minutes to leave the score at 1-03 to 0-04. This was to be the last score of the half from Cappawhite/Treacys and with Clonoulty beginning to take control of the game scoring six points without reply including 3 frees they went into the break leading by a score of 0-10 to 1-03.

The second half again started with both defences looking strong. Clonoulty scored a 65 after 32 minutes but just a minute later the Combo were reduced to 14 men when Emmet Ryan was  shown a second yellow from what seemed to be a very suspect decision. This ended the game as a spectacle as with the conditions and an extra player the Cappa/Treacys team had a mountain to climb. Clonoulty scored another point from a free before Seanie Ryan(R) got  another point for the combo which was to be their final score of the game. Clonoulty got another 2 points before Shane Stapleton saved a penalty on 42 minutes. With their pressure mounting they eventually got a goal on 44 minutes to leave the score at 1-12 to 1-04. After this the combo defended sternly but under the constant pressure Clonoulty went on to score another 1-05 without reply to leave the score at 1-04 to 2-17 in favour of Clonoulty.

The combo will look back on this game as a game in which their more than accounted for themselves until the sending off and should be in no doubt that they are well capable of beating the opposition on another day. We now find ourselves in a semi-final which hopefully we can reach the final to atone for today’s result.

Team: S Stapleton(ST), P Ryan(ST), W Mackey(ST), D Stapleton(C), E Ryan(ST), A O Brien(ST), M Feehan(ST), S Ryan(R)(ST)(0-01), F Ryan(C), D Orr(C), K Stapleton(C)(0-02), S Ryan(W)(C), B Carey(ST), S Fahey(ST)(1-00) and P Carey(ST)(0-01). Subs T Coughlan(C) for F Ryan, E Heffernan(C) for S Stapleton, G Egan(ST) for M Feehan, D Fahey(ST) for P Carey and T Meagher for S Fahey.

Cappawhite/Sean Treacys 0-21  Cashel King Cormacs 2-06 .

The Cappawhite/Treacys combo had a good win against Cashel on Sunday 1/11/2015. It was a strong all round team performance and but for some wayward shooting in the second half it could have been a far more convincing win.

Cashel were first to score after 1 minute of play but this was to be their only time ahead in the game. Brian Carey equalised a minute later. The Cappawhite/Treacys backline began to dominate a began to supply a lot of ball forward. Riann Doody pointed his first free after 4 minutes followed by another Brian Carey free a minute later. The combo were enjoying a lot of possession at this stage but the Cashel defence were making difficult for our forwards. Riann Doody pointed another free after 8 minutes before Kevin Stapleton scored his first point on 11 minutes to leave four points between the teams. On 15 minutes Cashel scored their second point only for Kevin Stapleton to respond with his second score after some fine play by Russell Quirke. Riann Doody again pointed a placed ball before Cashel got their third and final score of the half from a free. Kevin Stapleton again put the ball over  almost immediately. Brian Carew then got on the score sheet with a fine point from a tight angle with Brian Carey then scoring his 3rd point of the half straight after. Russell Quirke got the last score of the half on 25 minutes to leave the score at the interval at 0-11 to 0-03 in favour of Cappawite/Treacys.

The second half started with Cashel pointing two frees in quick succession before Pat Deegan scored an excellent point after 5 minutes play. Cashel were next to score direct from an excellent side line ball to leave 6 points between the teams. The combo were then reduced to fourteen men when Pat Deegen received what seemed like a very harsh red card after 40 minutes. Both teams had opportunities after this but failed to make them count. Cappawhite/Treacys made a couple of changes after 45 minutes to freshen things up and this had an immediate impact with Russell Quirke adding his second score of the day. Paddy Carey scored the next two points which were followed by scores from Brian Carey and Kevin Stapleton to leave the score at 0-17 to 0-06 after 54 minutes. Cashel replied with a goal after 55 minutes but the combo again took control with a point from Sean Ryan (R) and three from Paddy Carey including two frees to leave twelve points between the sides entering injury time. Cashel did get a consolation goal with the final puck of the game to leave the final score at 0-21 to 2-06.

It would be hard to pick out any one player in this game as they all put in a tremendous effort. Some of the hooking and blocking down was a joy to watch and if we can keep up this level of play we should be more than a match for any team in this competition.

Team: S Stapleton(ST), P Ryan(H)(ST), W Mackey(ST), D Stapleton(C), P Deegan(0-01)(ST), S Ryan(W)(C), M Feehan(ST), E Ryan(R)(ST), D Orr(C), R Quirke(0-02)(C), K Stapleton(0-04)(C), R Doody(0-3)(C), B Carey(0-04)(ST), T Meagher(C) and B Carew(0-01)(C). Subs S Ryan(R)(0-01)(ST)  for D Orr, P Carey(0-05)(ST) for T Meagher, E Heffernan(C) for B Carew, S Fahey(ST) for B Carey and D Kennedy(ST) for R Quirke.

Cappawhite/Sean Treacys 6-23  Arravale Rovers 0-03.

In what was a very one sided affair The Cappawhite/Treacy combination had a convincing win in Annacarthy on Saturday 24/10/2015. The 1st half started with both sides with both sides squandering easy chances before Paddy Carey eventually putting over the 1st score from a placed ball after 5 minutes. Kevin Stapleton was next to raise the white flag followed by Paddy Carey point from open play. Russell Quirke got the 1st goal of the game from a Brian Carew pass who then scored the point for the Combo. Russell scored his 2nd goal after a fine ball from Kevin Stapleton before Paddy Carey with another 3 points , Brian Carew and Russell Quirke had the Cappawhite/Treacys going in at half time with a lead of 2-10 to 0-02.

Again the 2nd half opened with the Combo in total control of proceedings starting with a point from Riann Doody in the 1st minute from a 65. This was followed by points from Paddy Carey, Brian Carew and Kevin Stapleton before Paddy Carey again found the back of the net with an excellent shot. Matt Feehan then got the score of the game from wing back with a brilliant point. Cappawhite/Treacys got another 3 goals from D Orr, Kevin Stapleton and Brian Carew as well as points from Matt Feehan, Paddy Carey, Pat Deegan, Paddy Carey, Sean Ryan(R)and Brian Carew to run out very easy winners on the day.

It was a game in which all of the team dominated in every position and there will be much tougher tests ahead if they are bring back a Championship but today was the start to what will hopefully be another very successful year for this group of players.

Team: S Stapleton(ST), E Ryan(ST), A O Brien(ST), D Stapleton(C), R Doody(C), S Ryan(w)(C), M Feenan(ST), S Fahy(ST), P Deegan(ST), K Stapleton(C), S Ryan(R)(ST), B Carey(ST), P Carey(ST}, R Quirke(C) and B Carew(C). Subs F Ryan(C) for Sryan(R), W Mackey(ST) for S Ryan(w), D Orr(C) for R Quirke, D Kennedy(ST) for S Fahy and  G Egan(ST) for M Feehan.

Minor Hurling West Final: 

Cappawhite Gaels  1-17  Knockavilla/Donaskeigh Kickhams  2-16

Cappawhite Gaels came up just short against a Ger Browne inspired Kickhams in the West Minor ‘B’ Hurling Final played out in Annacarthy this Sunday evening September 13th. A second half fight back just wasn’t enough to edge them over the line and the wet underfoot conditions probably suited a physically bigger Kickhams outfit.

Kickhams started the game at full tilt and used the wind at their backs to keep the sliotar supplied to their inside forwards who used it to full advantage netting a goal and four points in the opening minutes. Cappa were slow to respond but a well taken point from Kieran Duggan finally got them on the scoreboard, Rian Doody threw over two points from placed balls in the following minutes while Kickhams continued to use that big wind at their backs as the game reached 1-8 to 0-3 before William Barry scored a fine point for Cappa. Kickhams worked hard in the middle third of the pitch and managed to hit further scores before Rian Doody took the sliotar and ran hard at goal sending a rocket towards goal that ricocheted off of the crossbar. In the goalmouth scramble that followed Brendan Murphy managed to net a badly needed goal for Cappa. As the half time whistle sounded Kickhams took a well-deserved 1-11 to 1-4 lead while Cappawhite Gaels rued a few missed scoring opportunities and a lax opening seven minutes which resulted in the concession of 1-4.

The second half was a different animal as Cappa tore into the game and Tommy Coughlan set the tone with a well worked score from the opening play of the half. While the wind had died down somewhat there was certainly a noticeable increase in the supply of ball driven to the Cappa forwards. William Barry used his increased supply of ball to score another point before a hammer blow came in the form of a second Kickhams goal to leave them 2-12 to 1-6 ahead. Many teams would have dropped their heads but Cappa upped their game and Tommy Coughlan was playing super stuff as he scored another two points. The defence tightened up after the concession of a second goal and only allowed their opponents 0-4 in the final 22 minutes of the game. Tim Meagher caught everything that came near him while Eanna Buckley and Robbie Quirke hooked, blocked, chased, harried and shouldered any man that came near them. The midfield also upped their game as Eoghan Ryan covered massive ground and scored a point while James Dee scored a point from play and converted a 65 to pull Cappa back into the game.

As Cappa were making this progress their hopes of victory took another blow as Denis O’Shea, introduced earlier at wing forward, was dismissed from the field of play following a ruck in what seemed to come for as much of a shock for the player as for the Cappawhite Gaels support. Kickhams were now free to operate with a spare man in the half back line and it looked bleak for the men in white and blue as they threw everything at the opposition. However, William Barry added a brace of points while Brendan Murphy, Rian Doody and Kieran Duggan also weighed in with points for Cappa to leave the game at 1-16 to 2-15 as the final minute of play was reached. It was desperate defending from Kickhams that managed to hold Cappa out and prevent them from scoring the all-important goal as William Barry had to settle for another classy point to leave just the minimum in it as play entered injury time. Ger Browne, a deserved man of the match, took possession of the sliotar following the puck out before scoring a final point to leave the scoreboard at 2-16 to 1-17. The final whistle blew following Fionn Brady’s puck out, there just wasn’t time for another Cappawhite Gaels attack.

Cappawhite Gaels were superb in their attitude throughout the contest and their willingness to stand up after the concession of goals and dismissal of a player stood out as huge positives to take from the game. Unfortunately they left themselves too much to do in the second half and while they were unlucky not to pull off a remarkable comeback they gave a true account of their ability in that second half of hurling. Eanna Buckley, Jim O’Dwyer and Robbie Quirke were solid in defence, Eoghan Ryan was a real workhorse in midfield while Kieran Duggan and Rian Doody always showed for ball and led by example. A word of praise has to go to William Barry for five quality points from play in what is just his first year at minor grade. Tommy Coughlan probably deserves top billing for a superb second half display in which he built on a solid first half showing by winning possession, working hard to track back in defence, linking well with William Barry and Brendan Murphy inside to create scores in addition to bagging three points of his own.

Team and scorers: F Brady, E Buckley, T Meagher, C Ryan, D Clancy, J O’Dwyer, A O’Dwyer, R Quirke, E Ryan(0-1), T Coughlan(0-3), J Dee(0-2), R Doody(0-3), B Murphy(1-1), K Duggan(0-2), W Barry(0-5), D O’Shea, C Irwin, Shane Ryan, C Moloney, C O’Dwyer, C Murray.  

Junior Football:  Cappawhite 0-06 Emly 1-04.

Our Junior footballers were narrowly beaten by Emly in Sean Treacy Park Tipperary last Sunday evening 30/8/2015. It was a game were both defences were in top form hence the low scoreline. Cappawhite probably had the slight advantage in overall possession but it was the goal which proved to be the vital score.

Emly were the 1st out of the blocks when the game started and with Cappawhite taken time to settle. The sole goal of the game was scored after 3 minutes. Emly then increased their lead when they scored a point after 5 minutes which was to be their last score of the half. Cappawhite began to take control of the game but were finding it very hard to make their dominance show on the score board until Jerry O Neill eventually raised the white flag after 13 minutes. Michael Buckley then added another from a free  45 meters out. A Kevin Mullins free then left the minimum between the sides after 18 minutes. The resulting kick out was intercepted and Sean Ryan levelled the scores with a point. This was to be the last score of the half to leave the score at 0-04 to 1-01.

Again the second half was a very low scoring affair with the 1st score of the half coming after 11 minutes from a Kevin Mullins free. Emly again levelled a minute later with their second point. Cappawhite were well on top at this stage but could not get the scores to pull away. It was the 18th minute before Kevin Mullins got our next score from play which was also to be our final score of the game. Emly equalised again after 21 minutes. Cappawhite had opportunities to go ahead after this but just  seemed unable to score from their chances created and paid the ultimate price when Emly scored the final point after 27 minutes. We did try hard but just could not get the breakthrough after this and ended a point down at the final whistle.

It was a disappointing end but we fought hard and but for missed chances were the better team. All of our lads can be proud of their efforts, Thomas Costello was solid in goal our defence were outstanding, in midfield Dennis Kelly and Donnagh Heffernan could not have done anymore and up front we tried hard with Tom Treacy and Paddy Julian covering all areas of the pitch. The club would like to thank all the players and mentors for their effort this year and hopefully we can go that step further next year.

Team: T Costello, N Ryan, J McGrath, M Ryan(w), R Dunne, M Buckley(0-01), E Ryan, D Kelly, D Heffernan, P Julian, K Mullins(0-03), T Treacy, J O Neill(0-1), S Ryan(w)(0-01) and K Stapleton. Subs G Ryan(p) for k Stapleton and J Shanhan for D Kelly.

Junior Football:   Cappawhite  2-10   Rosegreen  0-10

Our footballers had a good win in Bansha on Tuesday 4/8/2015 against Rosegreen. The opening half was a fairly even affair with Rosegreen were 1st off the mark with a point. Cappawhite then had a well taken goal from Kevin Stapleton in reply in the opening five minutes to give us a lead of 2 points. Rockwell had their best spell of the game at this stage and were rewarded with the next three points to give them the lead by the minimum. Gerry O Neill levelled with a point from a quickly taken free from Kevin Mullins. The sides exchanged points again before Paddy Julian raised the green flag again for Cappawhite to put them ahead coming up to half time. Rosegreen had the last score of the half when they put over their fourth free of the half to leave the score at 2-02 to 0-06 at the break.

The second half started with Cappawhite dominating possession and got four points without reply with frees from Donnagh Heffernan and two from Kevin Mullins either side of Gerry O Neills second score from play. Rosegreen got the next two scores to bring it back to four between the teams. Cappawhite again got the upper hand and a brace from Kevin Mullins one from a free and a fine score from Eoghan Ryan had it back to seven points. Michael O Neill was introduced and got another good score to have us eight points up with 6 minutes left. Rosegreen were appling all the pressure at this stage and looked to be in on goal when John McGrath put in a great block to ease the pressure. Rosegreen had the final two points of the game but Cappawhite ran out winners by 2 goals.

The Cappawhite players put in a good shift and worked hard throughout the game. John McGrath was solid at full back, Paddy Julian put in a man of the match performance at wing back, Dennis Kelly and Donnagh Heffernan worked hard in midfield, Tom Treacy and Kevin Mullins working hard for the sixty minutes.

Team: D Costello, M Ryan(w), J McGrath, N Ryan, P Julian(1-00), R Dunne, E Ryan(0-01), D Heffernan(0-01)(f), D Kelly, C Marnane, K Mullins(0-05)(4f), T Treacy, K stapleton(1-00), S Ryan(w) and G O Neill(0-02). Subs M O Neill(0-01) for C Marnane, D Orr for G O Neill, D O Neill for P Julian, E Heffernan for D Kelly  and P Julian for M O Neill(BC). 

Minor Hurling:

 Cappawhite Geals  1-19 Lattin Geals  1-12

Our minors had a good win against Lattin Geals on Thursday evening last 30/5/2015 in Cappawhite. In was a very hard fought encounter we came out on top but in the 1st half it was a very tight affair. The sides exchanged 3 points before we opened up a 2 point lead. Lattin put the minimum between the sides before another brace of scores from our lads left 3 in front coming up to the break. Lattin came at us strong in the last few minutes and put over 2 points one coming from a brilliant save from Fionn Brady in the Cappawite goal to leave the half time score at 0-07 to 0-06.

Cappa Geals went 2 ahead just after the break but our opponents levelled a few minutes later with the next couple of scores. The sides exchanged scores again to leave the score at 0-09. For the next 15 minutes our lads took total control of the game and scored an unawnsered 1-07 with some well taken scores including the goal which was superbly finished to the net by Riann Doody. The sides scored another 3 points each before Lattin geals scored a penalty with the last play of the game to leave the final score of the game at 1-19 to 1-12.

The Cappawhite Geals put in a fine team performance with Enna Buckley and Darragh Clancy commanding in defence, in midfield Eoghan Ryan and Robbie Quirke dominating and up front Riann Doody, James Dee and William Barry always a threat.

Team: F Brady, C Ryan, T Meagher, E Buckley, A O Dwyer, J O Dwyer, D Clancy, R Quirke(0-05), E Ryan, C Irwin, R Doody(1-08), J Dee, K Duggan, T Coughlan(0-02), W Barry(0-4). Subs D O Shea for C Irwin, S Ryan for W Barry C Moloney For K Duggan and C Murray for A O Dwyer.

Junior Football

Cappawhite 3-12 Solohead  1-07

Our junior footballers had a convincing win against Solohead on Saturday evening 25/7/2015 in Tipperary. It was our second game in the competition and it was vital to the win to get our campaign back on track. In what was a tense first half we were 1st off the mark with a point from Kevin Stapleton but Solohead replied straight away. Our players then began get the upper hand with another 2 points before Gerry O Neill finished a quickly taken free kick from Kevin Mullins to the net to leave 5 points between the sides. Although we were well in command at this stage we failed to add more scores and eventually Solohead began to come back at us. They scored the next 3 points  to leave just 2 between us. The Cappawhite lads again scored the next two points before Solohead  a goal followed by a point by Cappawhite. Solohead then levelled the scores at 1-06 apiece in what was turning into a very tight contest. Just before the break Cappawhite added a further point to leave the minimum between the teams at half time.

On the resumption  Cappawhite Kevin Stapleton capitalised on a error by the goalie to finish the ball to the net for our second goal. Cappawhite at this stage were in total control and this reflected on the scoreboard when we got the another five points without reply before Joe Shanahan finished off a fine move to the net to leave the result beyond doubt. Solohead did get the last score of the contest but Cappawhite Finished winners on a scoreline of 3-12 t0 1-07.

Cappawhite were very impressive on the night and overall it was a very impressive team performance with every player giving 100% and we can go a long way in this championship if we can keep playing in this manner.

Team: T Costello, M Ryan(w), J McGrath, N Ryan(0-01), E Ryan, M Buckley, R Dunne, D Kelly, D Heffernan(0-01), J Shanahan(1-01), K Mullins(0-5)(3f), T Treacy, G O Neill(1-01), S Ryan(w)(0-01) and K Stapleton(1-01). Subs P Julian(0-01) for M Ryan(w), D Ryan(p) for S Ryan(w), C Marnane for D Kelly, E Heffernan for J Shanahan and D Costello for G O Neill.

Minor Hurling:

Cappawhite Geals 3-16 Cashel  3-09

Cappawhite Geals  had a good a win on Wednesday last 22/7/2015 in Cappawhite. In an even 1st half the lead swapped on a couple of occasions. Cashel took an early  lead before Cappawhite Geals came back to go ahead after a goal by Dennis O Shea. With Cashel scoring their 2nd  goal to bring them back into the game the sides went in level  with a score of 1-09 to 2-06.

The second half started with Cappawhite Geals taking control of the game and began picking off scores to forge ahead and a well taken  goal from Christopher Irwin gave us a strong lead.Cashel came back with a goal to close the score 3 points but we scored another  1-03  with Tommy Coughlan getting the goal before Cashel another 2 points before the final whistle to leave 7 points the sides.

After a slow start in our 1st game Cappawhite Geals players improved as the game went on and hopefully we will push on from this for the remainder of the Minor championship.

Team:  F Brady, E Buckley, T Meagher, C Irwin, A O Dwyer, J O Dwyer, D Clancy(0-01), R Quirke(0-05), E Ryan, K Duggan, R Doody(0-08), T Coughlan(1-00), D O Shea(1-00), J Dee and W Barry(0-02). Subs C Ryan for K Duggan and K Duggan for J Dee.

Senior hurling Play Off

Cappawhite 2-12 Holycross/Ballycahill 4-14.

In what was a disappointing result on Friday evening last 17/7/2015 Cappawhite were beaten by Holycross/Ballycahill in the Senior Huling relegation play off. It was a hard fought game in which both sides had their moments.

It was a very even  opening 25 minutes where the only difference on the scoreboard was a Holycross goal with the scores at 1-05 to 0-05. At this stage  playing with a strong breeze at their backs  our opponents hit a purple patch scoring 2-04 to our one point to have a substantial lead at the break of 3-09 to 0-06.

To the credit of the Cappawhite players they could have dropped their heads on the resumption of the second half but they instead produced a battling performance. We came out a played some of the best hurling of the game and scored 5 points to 2 before Gerry O Neill scored his first goal to half the lead of the interval. But in what was a crucial score our opponents raised the green flag this was to be our undoing. We scored another 1-01 to their 3 points for the remainder of the game to finish up at the wrong side of a 2-12 to 4-14 scoreline.

Everyone of the players have to be commended for their efforts on the night which just fell short but hopefully we can put this year behind us and come back with the same determination  as we showed tonight and get back to winning ways in the coming year.

Team:  M Buckley, D O Dwyer, T Costello, M Leahy, K Stapleton, S Ryan(w)(0-01), R Dunne, P Julian(0-01), D Barry(0-01), M Ryan(w),  J McGrath(0-02), R Doody(0-01), T Treacy(0-01), G O Neill(2-04), M O Neill. Subs N Ryan for M leahy, J Carr(0-01) for M O Neill, D Heffernan for M Ryan(w) and D Kelly for K Stapleton.  

The Cappawhite GAA club would like to thank all the players, mentors and backroom team for their efforts throughout the year.

Junior A Football Cappawhite 1-03 Clonoulty/ Rossmore 2-13.

Our junior footballers were beaten by Clonoulty/Rossmore on Sunday 5/7/2015 in Golden. We were in the game up to half-time going in at a score of 1-03 to 0-07 points with our scores coming from Gerry O Neill(0-02), Kevin Mullins with another point and Donnagh Heffernan getting our goal.

Clonoulty/Rossmores superior fitness showed in the second half where we found it hard to match our opponents and they began to pull away from us. In fairness the Cappawhite players never gave up and were misfortunate not to get some scores in the second half.

With it being the 1st football match of the year we can improve from this performance and mount a serious challenge in this Championship. While all our players tried hard Thomas Costello pulled off some great saves in the goal and Paddy Julian, John McGrath, Dennis Kelly, Eoghan Ryan, Kevin Mullins, Donnagh Heffernan and Gerry O Neill stood out.

Team: T Costello, P Julian, J McGrath< C McCarthy, K Stapleton, D Kelly, T Cranley, E Ryan, M Buckley, K Mullins, D Heffernan, C Marnane , E Heffernan, G O Neill and L McCarty. Sub: D Costello for E Heffernan.  

Junior Hurling:

Junior B Hurling Cappawhite 1-12 Solohead 3-13.

Cappawhite were beaten by Solohead in Annacarthy on Saturday night last the 20/6/2015. Cappawhite had the better of the early exchanges and applied most of the pressure with Dennis Kelly dictating the game at centre back. We went two points up from frees before Solohead replied with their first. Davy Orr then got our first from play. Solohead reduced the lead again before Enna Buckley replied with another two from placed balls. Solohead then replied with 2 more points before Enna again put over a free. Solohead again replied with a point and Enna got another two frees to leave three between the sides. Cappawhite were playing the better hurling up to this stage with Solohead having to concede an amount of frees to keep us out. The turning point of the game came at this point when our opponents were awarded a very controversial 20 meter free which was dispatched to the net. Almost immediately they got their second goal after George pulled off a excellent save only for the rebound to be put into the net. Both side exchanged scores before half time to leave the score at 2-06 to 0-09 points at the interval.

At the restart Cappawhite were slow to start and we paid the price when Solohead found the net again which seemed to stun our players and the opposition took full advantage and scored another four points without reply to leave us trailing by ten points. Eventually after George Kelly pulled off a terrific save from a penalty  we settled and started began to contest the game again. Enna Buckley put over another free which was followed by two points for Solohead. Paul Fitzgearld then swapped scores with the opposition leaving twelve between the sides with five minutes remaining. Cappawhite tried hard in the final stages scoring a goal and a point from Paul Fitzgearld to leave seven between the teams at the final whistle.

It was disappointing to be beaten after the first 25 minutes in which we were by far the better team but could not make it count on the scoreboard.  After that the three Solohead goals on either side of half tie seemed to end the contest. All the Cappawhite players can’t be faulted for their effort especially George Kelly, Dennis Kelly, Jim O Dwyer, Eoghan Ryan, Paul Fitzgerald and Enna Buckley from placed balls.

Team G Kelly, P Maguire, J Maguire, E Heffernan, M O Connor, D Kelly, J O Dwyer, E Ryan, T Cranley, D Orr(0-01), N Hayes, P Fitzgearld(1-02), E Buckley(0-09)(9f), T Meagher and T Coughlan. Subs D Stapleton for T Cranley, T Cranley for D Orr, F Ryan for P Maguire and D Clancy for T Coughlan.

Cappawhite 0-07 Sean Treacys 2-12

Our Junior Hurlers were beaten on Saturday evening 06/06/2015. The 1st half was an even enough contest with both sides having their moments. Cappa were the first to score with a well taken point from Tim Meagher. Sean Treacys replied with a goal just a couple of minutes later after George Kelly had pulled off a fine save only for the rebound to end up on the net. Eanna Buckley was the next to score with a pointed free. Treacys got 2 points of their own before another free from Eanna left 2 between the sides. Again we fell further behind when the Treacys scored another couple of points before Paul Fitzgearld scored our next point. The teams again swapped scores before the break with Eanna again putting over another free to leave the half time score at 1-05 to 0-05 to our opponents.

The second half started with the sides again trading scores with Davy Orr getting a fine score for Cappawhite. At this time we began to find it hard to match the pressure which Sean Treacys began to apply and this was shown on the scoreboard when they scored 1-04 without reply. We did manage to get another point from Johnny Ryan(p) but again our opponents raised the white flag twice before the final whistle.

Dennis Kelly had a fine game at centre back while Timmy Cranley worked hard at midfield and Davy Orr was excellent on the night in the forward line. It was disappointing after the 1st half being such an even contest but the experience will hopefully help spur us on to better performances in our next games.

Team: G Kelly, P Maguire, J Maguire, E Heffernan, M O Connor, D Kelly, J O Dwyer, E Ryan, T Cranley, D Orr(0-01), J Ryan(p)(0-01), T Meagher(0-01), T Coughlan, P Fitzgearld(0-01) and E Buckley(0-03f). Subs: J English for M O Connor, B Buckley for P Fitzgearld, C Marnane for T Coughlan and P Barry for E Heffernan.

Cappawhite 2-12 Golden Kilfeacle 0-13

Our junior hurlers had a very impressive win in Annacarthy on Sunday 31/5/2015. Conditions were very windy and Cappaawhite were playing into the elements in the first  half. Golden wer the 1st to score and had 3 points on the board before Cappawhite got their first from Niall Hayes which was followed by another from  Paul Fitzgerld. At this stage of the game Golden with the breeze at their backs were applying all the pressure but the Cappawhite backs were hurling very well. Goldewn did manage to increase their lead but Cappawhite did get another 2 pointed frees before half time from Timmy Cranley and Eanna Buckley to leave the score going in at the break at 0-10 to 0-04 in favour of Golden.

Cappawhite started the second half in a determined  fashion and our centre-back Dennis Kelly  had our 1st score of the half. Enna Buckley pointed another free before Paul Fitzgerld scored our first goal of the game. Enna Buckley had another free to level the scores before Golden again went ahead with their 1st score of the second half.Timmy Cranley again levelled the scores before Tommy Coughlan put Cappawhite ahead for the first time in the game. Golden again levelled the score but a Niall Hayes goal again put us ahead. Golden then got their last score of the game and Cappawhite replied with another free from Enna Buckley before Brian Carew scored a well taken point . Niall Hayes got the last score of the game to leave 5 points between the teams at the finish.

Overall it was a great team effort by Cappawhite with Paddy Maguire, Enna Heffernan and Jim o Dwyer staring in defence. Eoghan Ryan worked tirelessly in midfield and Tim Meagher, Niall Hayes, Enna Buckley and man of the match Tommy Coughlan putting in solid displays in the forwards.

Team: G Kelly, P Maguire, J Maguire, E Heffernan, M O Connor, D Kelly, J O Dwyer, E Ryan, D Orr, T Cranley, N Hayes, T Meagher, T Coughlan, P Fitzgerld and E Buckley. Subs J Ryan(p) for D Orr, B Carew for P Fitzgerld and J English for M O Connor.

Senior Hurling:

Cappawhite: 4-05 K/Kickhams 3-10

Golden GAA pitch was the venue as Cappawhite took on Kickhams. We were fielding a much depleted side due to untimely injuries and several players being unavailable for selection. Stepping up to the mantle were several Junior players including Pat O Neill and two men making their play  senior hurling debuts in Michael Leahy and Michael Ryan. The talismanic Tom Treacy opened thew scoring with a fine score from centre back before the opposition struck back with 2 points. A fine move resulted in a goal for Cappawhite as Riann Doody, who was causing major problems for the Kickhams full back, found the net. Captain Jerry O Neill added a further point from a free and then another fine score from play. Shortly afterwards Cappa goalie Michael Buckley pulled off a superb double save to deny the Kickham’s forwards but they pulled a goal back minutes afterwards. The legitimacy off the goal has to be called into question as Noel Ryan had gone down injured in the build-up and the referee failed to blow the whistle and allow treatment. Noel had to be withdrawn shortly after and Donal O Neill took his place moving up corner forward while John McGrath reverted to corner back. Kickhams added a further 2 points before half time.

After the break Cappawhite were quickly on the backfoot with the opposition scoring 2-2 in quick succession . Russell Quirke and Jerry O Neill responded with points of their own but Kichams added a further 4 points to extend their lead significantly and things looked increasingly dire for us. However a tactical change of Riann switching positions with Jerry sparked a spirited comeback and Jerry fired a thunderous shot into the Kickhams net. This rattled the opposition and we began to grow in dominance. Dara Barry was on free taking duty now and delivered 2 pin-point balls into Jerry who dispatched both to the net. It was now a 2 point game but unfortunately the game ended in heartbreak as Kickhams held on for a 2 point victory. A demoralising result but the team can take hope from a much improved and spirited display. Best  for Cappawhite on the day were the magnificent Pat O Neill, Dean O Dwyer, Tom Treacy and Riann Doody, while Michael Leahy and Michael Ryan both put in fine displays for their Senior debuts.

Team: Michael Buckley, Dean O Dwyer, Pat O Neill, Noel Ryan (Donal O Neill), Michael Leahy, Tom Treacy(0-1), Cathal McCarthey, Paddy Julian, Dara Barry, Michael Ryan, Jerry O Neill(3-4), Kevin Stapleton, Russell Quirke(0-01), Riann Doody(1-0), John McGrath.

Subs: Eanna Buckley, Tommy Coughlan, Eoin Ryan, Jim o Dwyer, Eanna Heffernan, Tim Meagher

Minor Football:

Cappawhite 1-05 Knonckavilla Kickhams 3-05

In a game played in what felt like winter conditions in Annacarthy on Wednesday night 27/5/2013 Cappawhite were beaten by a two goal margin. Kickhams were the 1st to get on the score sheet with a point but after this the Cappawhite took control of the game with the wind behind them but were finding it hard to convert it to the score board. Eventually after about 15 minutes their 1st score came and it was a well crafted goal from a quick line ball from Tommy Coughlan to Eoghan Ryan who sent the ball to William Barry to volley it to the back of the net. The same player again put the ball over the bar a couple of minutes later before Robbie Quirke pointed to put us four points up. Cappawhite then were unlucky not to raise the green flag again before William Barry again got another point. At this stage Kickhams began to put a bit a pressure on the Cappawhte  backs who were holding out well until a unlucky break allowed them in for a goal. They added a point to leave just one between the sides at half time.

The 2nd half started with Cappawhite playing into the strong breeze and for the first ten minutes had all the play but were let down with their final ball. They should have had a bigger score before between the teams before Kickhams levelled the scores 10 minutes into the half. After 14 minutes Kickhams again put the ball over the bar before they got their 2nd goal which deflected past our stranded keeper f rom a high dropping ball to leave 1-01 between the teams. Again Cappawhite came back at the opposition and William Barry put the ball over from play and Eoghan Ryan scored from a free to leave 2 points between the sides again. The last five minutes both sides had opportunities but it was Kickhams who scored a point during this period to leave 3 between the sides entering injury time.  Cappawhite were applying all the pressure at this stage but could not get the vital score and with the very last play of the game Kickhams broke forward to score a goal with the last kick of the game.

Cappawhite  can very proud of their performance the score not reflecting the true story of the game with our lads putting in a heroic effort.  Everyone from number one to fiftheen showing great team spirit with William Barry, Robbie Quirke, Eoghan Ryan, Jim O Dwyer, Enna Buckley and man of the match Tommy Coughlan having outstanding games.

Team: D Kelly, C Ryan, R Doody, E Buckley, A O Dwyer, T Meagher, J ODwyer, E Ryan(0-01), D Clancy, D Murphy, J Dee, R Quirke(0-01), C O Dwyer, T Coughlan and W Barry(1-03)

Senior Hurling:

Cappawhite 0-07 Clonoulty/Rossmore 

Team: Michael Buckley, Cathal McCarthey, Thomas Costello(Donagh Heffernan),Ger Ryan, Noel Ryan, Ross Dunne, Tom Treacy(0-1), Paddy Julian(0-1), Dara Barry,John McGrath, Jerry O Neill(0-3), Riann Doody(0-1), Kevin Stapleton, Russell Quirke, Michael O Neill(Dean O Dwyer)


Tipperary Junior Hurling League

Cappawhite: 1-09 Clonmel Og 1-15

Cappawhite Hurling Field was the venue for the latest instalment of the County Junior League where the home side hosted Clonmel Og, a strong Junior A outfit. The first half was an even affair with strong performances on both sides. Clonmel Og opened the scoring with a point but Niall Hayes quickly responded. Pat o Neill also helped himself  to two points as did Tim Meagher with a well struck effort after both men had switched positions. Eanna Buckley added a further two points to the score sheet with two frees. Goal man George Kelly had a particularly good first half for Cappawhite contributing several sweeping clearances out of the back line. The score line stood at 6 points apiece at the interval.  

Paul Fitzgerald was introduced to add a more physical presence to the full forward line. He made himself known quickly and struck a point shortly after his introduction. Eanna Buckley added another two points through frees but the visitors were gradually gaining a stronghold on the game and had taken a several point lead when a penetrating run resulted in a fierce shot on goal that provoked an excellent diving save from George Kelly. Unfortunately the rebound fell to an unmarked Clonmel forward who slotted it into the net. Cappawhite were refusing to give in though and substitute Brian Carew scored a point before Niall Hayes scored a goal of his own to reduce the deficit.  However, the visitors finished out the game strongly ultimately emerging victorious by 6 points.

Disappointing to lose, but Cappawhite can take positives from a very good performance against strong opposition a grade above us. Man of the Match for Cappawhite was Davey Stapleton who played exceptionally at wing and corner back.

Team: George Kelly, Martin Connor, Jason McGuire, Eanna Heffernan, Davey Stapleton, Mike Leahy, Mick Ryan Wall, Eoghan Ryan, Denis Kelly, Tim Meagher (0-1), Niall Hayes (1-0), Timmy Cranley, Tom Coughlan, Pat O'Neill (0-2), Eanna Buckley (0-4 free).Subs Paul Fitzgerald (0-1) for Tim Meagher, Donal O Neill for Eanna Heffernan, Jim O Dwyer for Martin O Connor, Davey Orr for Eanna Buckley, John English for Eoghan Ryan,  Brian Carew (0-1) for Tom Coughlan and Patrick Barry for Niall Hayes

Junior Hurling: Cappawhite0-18 Solohead 1-24

Our junior Hurlers were beaten on Tuesday evening last 12/5/2015 against Solohead in the West Junior B Hurling League. In the first half Cappawhite were the better team and had some great displays especially from some of our younger players including Eoghan Ryan, Tommy Coughlan, Tim Meagher and Enna Buckley.  Also during this period Mick Ryan(w), Michael Leahy Timmy Cranley, Niall Hayes and Jason Maguire did little wrong and Cappawhite went into the break leading by a score of leading by 0-15 to 0-08.

Cappawhite made 14 changes at half time with only goalie George Kelly who had a fine performance in both halves being the only player to play the full 60 minutes. Solohead seemed to come out stronger in the second half and began to apply all the pressure and eventually ran out winners on a score of 1-24 to 0-18.

Team 1st half:

George Kelly, David Stapleton,  Jason Maguire, Eanna Heffernan, Martin Connors, Michael Leahy, Michael Ryan(W), Denis Kelly Eoghan Ryan, Tim Meagher, Niall Hayes 0-4, Timmy Cranley0-2,Tom Coughlan 0-1, Pat O’Neill 0-2, Eanna Buckley 0-6.

Team 2nd Half:

George Kelly, Declan O’Meara, Patrick Maguire, Breandan Buckley, Jim O’Dwyer, John English, Shane Coughlan, Liam McCarthy, Darragh Clancy, Brian Carew 0-2, Joe Ryan(P), Davey Orr 0-1, Vinny Barry, Joe Carmody, Cian Moloney.

Senior Hurling: Cappawhite 0-10   Silvermines  4-13

Cappawhite played Silvermines in a crucial County Championship game in Drombane on Sunday evening last the 10/5/2015. Both teams were in a situation where the winning team would avoid a relegation play-off. We got off to a reasonable start where we went into a 3 point to 1 lead. Silvermines then appeared to settle in wet conditions and took command of the half scoring 2-06 before we eventually began to get back into the game scoring the last 3 points of the half to go in down by a score of 2-07 to 0-06.

With a good start needed in the second half we began to hurl very well and scored the next 2 points to leave just 5 between the teams. Silvermines got the next two scores before we made it 2-09 to 0-09. Again at this stage we seemed to lose our way and  conceded 2-04 without reply. We did get the final score of the game to finish with the score of 0-10 to 4-13.

We now have to focus on the West Championship which begins against Clonoulty/Rossmore next weekend.

Team: M Buckley, C McCarthy, T Costello, N Ryan, M O Neill, T Treacy, J McGrath, P Julian, R Dunne, R Doody, D Heffernan, K Stapleton, J O Neill(0-06), S Ryan(0-01) and R Quirke(0-03). Subs:  D O Dwyer for R Doody, D Buckley for D Heffernan, G Ryan for S Ryan and R Doody for K stapleton. 

Minor Football: Cappawhite 0-02 Clonoulty 2-11

Our minor footballers were well beaten on Tuesday night 05/5/2015 by a strong Clonoulty team. From the very start with a strong breeze at the backs they took total control and scored 1-07 before Cappawhite got their only point just before half time.

The second half started with Cappawhite getting their second point but again Clonoulty put on all the pressure and scored another 1-05 before the end of the game to run out convincing winners after 60 minutes.

We now have to regroup  and prepare for the semi-final  and put this game behind us.

Team; D Kelly, C Ryan, R Doody, E Buckley, C Irwin, J O Dwyer, A O Dwyer, E Ryan(0-02), D Clancy, T Coughlan, J Dee, R Quirke(0-01), W Barry, T Meagher, A Spillane. Subs C O Dwyer for A Spillane, D Murphy for R Doody, C Moloney for C Ryan, C Murray for E Buckley, F Brady for W Barry and C Ryan for J Dee(black card). 

Senior Hurling: Cappawhite 1-14 Portroe 3-16

In a game played in a windy Newport on Monday evening 4/5/2015 our senior hurlers came out second best against Portroe. With the wind at our backs we fell a point behind within the first 20 seconds but Kevin Stapleton replied with a point within the next minute. Portroe again scored only for Riann Doody  to level the game again. Donnagh Heffernan got our next point with a well taken score to put us ahead but our opponents then replying with another three scores to put two points between the teams. Darragh Barry then had his 1st score to leave one between the teams again. It was a this stage when we seemed to lose our way a bit and Portroe scored 1-02 before David Buckley had our next score followed by a free by Gerry O Neill to leave four points between the sides. Cappa then thought they had another point when the two umpires had different opinions on a Kevin Stalpeton shot and when it was eventually ruled wide Portroe broke down the field from the resulting puck out to score their second goal to increase their lead. Darragh Barry then put over his second point to leave 2 goals between the sides. With the half drawing to a close Portroe again scored but Cappawhite had the last two scores of the half through Kevin Stapleton and Tom Treacy to leave the score at the break of 2-08 to 0-09 in favour of Portroe.

Russell Quirke got us off to a good start in the second half with a pointed free but again Portroe like the 1st half had a purple patch scoring 1-02 before we eventually replied with a third Darragh Barry point. Portroe were next to raise the white flag before Cappawhite again had a pointed free from Russell Quirke followed by another from play from Darragh Barry. We were playing well at this stage and got the reward we deserved when a quick free from Tom Treacy to Russell Quirke was then played with precision to Gerry O Neill Who dispatched low to the left of the keeper into the net to leave just four points between the teams. Our opponents then replied with two more points before Russell Quirke scored another free but  in the closing stages Portroe had the last three scores to leave the final score 3-16 to 1-14.

Overall it was disappointing to be beaten but there was some very good performances from a young Cappawite team. Tom Treacy and Thomas Costello improved as the game went on. Our midfield of Paddy Julian who worked tirelessly and man of the match Darragh Barry were surperb and up front all of our forwards had their moments and we got some brilliant scores.

Team: M Buckley, T Costello, C McCarthy, R Dunne, J McGrath, T Treacy(0-01), M O Neill, D Barry(0-4), R Doody(0-01), D Heffernan(0-01), K Stapleton(0-02), G O Neill(1-01), and D O Dwyer. Subs R Quirke(0-03) for G O Neill, N Ryan for J Mcgrath and G O Neill for D Buckley.


Minor Football:

Cappawhite 3-04 K/Kickhams 3-04

The honours were shared in Cappawhite on Wednesday night 29/4/2015 in an evenly matched game.  Kickhams were first to score with a point but Tommy Coughlan replied with a well taken point. Our opponents then started to play the better football and our lads were finding it hard to stop their free flowing game. During this period Kickhams added a goal and a point. With about 20 minutes the Cappa boys began to find their feet and we had 3 points without reply from James Dee and two from  Owen Ryan to leave a point between the teams as half time approached. Kickhams then got another score just before the break to go in leading 1-03 to 0-04.

The second half started with a goal for Kickhams and it seemed spur our lads on as within a few minutes we had a beautifully taken shot resting in the back of the net from Tommy Coughlan. Cappawhite took the lead for the first time when Owen Ryan then palmed the ball to the goal getting in on the end a high dropping ball. The Kickham lads again came back with a point to even up the game. It was at this stage we had our best spell of the game but failed to put our dominance on the scoreboard. It took a great shot on goal from Tim Meagher to eventually put us a goal up. Kickhams were not going to be outdone and applied the pressure on Cappa and were rewarded with a goal to draw the game again. Neither team could get the winning score thereafter and the draw was fair result at the end of the game.

The Cappawhite team had a very good team performance but Owen Ryan and Tommy Coughlan have to be given special mention with outstanding games by both.

Team: D Kelly, C Ryan, R Doody, E Buckley, C Irwin, J O Dwyer, A O Dwyer, D Clancy, O Ryan(1-02), T Coughlan(1-02), J Dee(0-01), R Quirke, F Brady, T Meagher(1-00), and A Spillane. Subs W Barry for F Brady and C Moloney for A Spillane.  

Junior Hurling:

Cappawhite 0-10 Rosegreen 1-14.

Our Junior hurlers were beaten on Tuesday evening the 28/4/2015 in Cappawhite by Rosegreen on a scoreline of 1-14 to 10 points. Rosegreen started with a point within the first 30 seconds  and they began to take the game to our lads. There was about 5 minutes gone in the game before we registered our 1st score when Enna Heffernan put over a fine point from play. Rosegreen then replied with another 3 points before our next score. It was a tighter affair for the reminder of the half even though we were playing against the wind which seemed to increase as the half continued. We went in at half time down by 10 points to 5.

Cappawhite began the second half well but a goal from Rosegreen put them further behind. With the ground getting slippery underfoot the players were finding hard to control the ball and keep their feet the game got very patchy but we kept in touch and started to narrow the score and with about 10 minutes left we were unlucky not to get within 2 points when Timmy Cranly sent in a sideline ball and Tommy Coughlan doubling on the ball into the net only for the Ref to call back play for a substitution. Rosegreen added two points after this to finish out the game at 1-14 to 0-10. What was positive for Cappawhite is that a lot of our younger players had good performances with Enna Buckley taking the honours as man of the match on the night with a surperb game.


G Kelly, P Maguire, J Maguire, D O Neill, M O Connor, M Leahy, J English, T Meagher(0-01), N Hayes(0-01), T Cranley(0-01), V Barry, E Heffernan(0-01), E Buckley(0-05). Subs O Ryan for J English, T Coughlan for V Barry, J O Dwyer for E heffernan and D Kelly(0-01) for M O Connor. 

Minor Football:

Cappawhite 1-11 Cashel 1-06

Cappawhite had an impressive win against Cashel on Tuesday evening 21/4/2015 in Cappawhite. The Cappa team were slow to start and with Cashel taking the control of the game for the first five minutes they were rewarded with a goal. This seemed to give our lads a wake up call and we started to compete better. Alan Spillane registered our first score with a well taken effort to the goal.The rest of the half was a very tight and even contest with both sides adding just five scores between them leaving the score the interval 1-03 to 1-02 in favour of Cashel.

Cappawhite went 2 points down early in the second half but after this they but took complete control of the game and scored five points without reply. We then traded scores at which stage we went into a 1-10 to 1-05 lead with Robbie Quirke and Eoin Ryan running the game. Cashel scored another point with five minutes left but Cappawhite again had the last score from Robbie to leave 5 points between the teams . it was a great team effort and we had some strong proformances all over but Robbie and Owen have to be given a special mention.

Team; D Kelly, C Ryan, R Doody, E Buckley, C Irwin, J O Dwyer, A O Dwyer, E Ryan(0-02), S Farrell, T Coughlan(0-01),J Dee(0-01), R Quirke(0-05), C O Dwyer(0-01), T Meagher, A Spillane(1-00). Subs D Clancy for S Farrell and W Barry for A O Dwyer(BS). 

Junior hurling:

Junior Hurling:   Cappawhite 3-11  Clonoulty/Rossmore 1-09

Cappawhite was once again the venue for the latest Junior B hurling encounter. The opponents this time were Clonoulty and the match was played on Saturday 18/4/2015 at 7.00 pm . With the weather cool and dry and the field in pristine condition the stage was set for a good quick game of hurling.

Cappawhite came out of the traps guns blazing with centre forward Niall Hayes scoring a fine point immediately from the throw in. Eanna Buckley then added a further point from a free while Eanna Heffernan took advantage of some poor Clonoulty defending to bag a well taken goal. However Clonoulty responded well with a point and goal of their own. Niall Hayes struck another point but a purple patch for Clonoulty resulted in them adding a further 4 points. The score line at half time was Clonoulty 1-05 to Cappa’s 1-03. Cappawhite were in hard luck to be behind after producing a good tough first half performance with plenty fine examples of skill on show from several players.

The management team made wholesale changes at the break introducing four substitutions and shifting Tim Meagher from wing forward to corner back. Clonoulty were the first to score a point after the break but the valiant Cappawhite performance continued with sub Timmy Cranley immediately imposing himself on the game with a point. This was shortly followed by a score from midfield general John English before injury forced him from the game with Davey Orr coming on to take his place. Eanna Buckley then added another goal to the home sides cause after rifling home a well struck free. The Cappawhite forwards were now causing havoc and Buckley added a second goal while substitute Tommy Coughlan was running amok in the right corner forward position and registered three points one after the other. Eanna Heffernan was proving to be a thorn in the visitor’s side and added a further point while Timmy Cranley furthered his tally with another two points. Clonoulty had managed another three points during the second half but were no match for a resolute Cappa defence led by the imperious Jason Maguire who turned in a man of the match performance.

A great result for the home side with fine performances coming from all 20 men involved.

George Kelly, Donal O Neill, Jason Maguire,  Paddy Barry, Mike Leahy, Mick Ryan(w), Martin O Connor, John English(0-01), Davey Stapleton, Liam McCarthy, Niall Hayes(0-02), Tim Meagher, Eanna Buckley(2-01), Eanna Heffernan(1-01), Vinny Barry. Subs Paddy Maguire for Donal O Neill, Timmy Cranley(0-03) for Paddy Barry,  Johnny Ryan(p) for Liam McCarthy, Tommy Coughlan(0-03) for Vinny Barry and Davy Orr for John English.

Senior Hurling.  Cappawhite 2-11 Moneygall 2-12.

Our Senior Hurlers were beaten by the narrowest of margins in The Ragg on Sunday last the 12/04/2015 in the 1st round of the county championship. It was a game in which we did not deserve to lose and now we have to dust ourselves down and regroup for the next day out.

We started with great purpose and were a point up inside the 1st minute with a score from our first attack from Gerry o Neill. The same player added a point from a free within 3 minutes. Moneygall then had a chance of a goal but a fine save from Michael R Buckley in goal kept us ahead. In the next minute we ourselves raised the green flag with a great move that started with Michael O Neill playing a great ball forward to Dean O Dwyer who then laid off a perfect ball to Gerry O Neill who dispatched the ball to the back of the net. Dean O Dwyer then played in another good ball to Sean Ryan who scored another fine point from play. At this stage we were in total control and were unlucky not to be further ahead but for a couple of balls going to the wrong side of the posts.

Moneygall did not get their 1st point until 12 minutes into the half and followed it up with another before Riann Doody who was playing very well put over his first score. We had another couple of chances to extend our lead but could not find the target. Then Moneygall got a goal which left only 2 points between the teams. Gerry O Neill then put over a free after 23 mins before our opponents replied with 2 placed balls themselves. At this stage of the game our two midfielders Paddy Julian and Darragh Barry were having a big influence on the game and Darragh scored a lovely point from play before Gerry got our final score of the half from a free. Moneygall finished the half scoring 2 points leaving the score at the interval at 1-07 to 1-06 in favour of Cappawhite.

The second half started with our opponents scoring a point within a minute and then taking the lead for the first time in the game shortly afterwords. We again came back at them and a Riann Doody point had us level. Then two frees from Gerry O Neill put us ahead again before a Moneygall point had the minimum between the  two teams. It was at this stage that Moneygall got the edge with a controversial penalty being awarded, and even though Michael Buckley saved the initial shot they found the net from the rebounded ball to put them ahead by 2 points. Darragh Barry then put the ball over the bar to leave just 1 point in it before Moneygall scored 2 points to leave a goal between the two sides. With the game nearing full time and less than 2 minutes of normal time remaining, Tom Treacy played a surperb ball into Gerry O Neill who made no mistake in taking his second goal of the game to leave the sides level. As the game entered injury time both sides had opportunities to score but with the very last puck of the game, it was Moneygall who got the winning score.
Overall it was a very exciting game and all of the Cappawhite players can be very pleased with their performance and only for a few decisions that didn’t go our way we should have a win under our belts.

Gerry O Neill Celebrates a goal. Top Tom Treacy
Team: M R Buckley, R Dunne, C McCarty, G Ryan(p), T Treacy, M O Neill, J McGrath, P Julian, D Barry(0-02), R Doody(0-02), S Ryan(w)(0-01), K Stapleton, G O Neill(2-07), D Heffernan and D O Dwyer. Sub N Ryan for D Heffernan.  

Above Kevin Stapleton. Below Dean O Dwyer

Tipperary Junior Hurling League: Cappawhite: 0-6 St. Pats 2-15

The tie was played out under lights during inclement conditions in which heavy rain and low temperatures persisted throughout the duration of the game. The junior team were under no illusions to the tough task that awaited them as the calibre of the opponents had been made clear. St. Pats had reached the County Semi-Final of the Junior A championship the year previous year and Cappawhite were missing several key players for the encounter. St. Pats started brightly registering two quick points before Rionn Doody responded with a well struck free. Things rapidly went downhill for the home side though as the visitors penetrated the defence to add a goal and several more points. The withdrawal of Patrick Maguire after sustaining a twisted ankle did little to help proceedings and a second goal was added shortly after. John English was introduced for Maguire and his experience helped to settle a relatively young backline that had an average age of 21. However relentless pressure from the St. Pats forwards sent them through on goal once again and only a fine reflex save from George Kelly prevented them from scoring a third. Rionn Doody added a further 2 frees to Cappawhite’s tally just before the half time whistle and entered the dressing rooms at the interval languishing at 3 points to the opposition’s 2-12. Several changes were made as Cappawhite returned to the pitch with David Orr replacing the injured Kelly in goals and Niall Hayes taking the place of Paul Fitzgerald at centre forward. Hayes’ presence made an immediate impact and he scored a point 5 minutes into the second half. Conditions were now worsening and it made any chance of clean, free flowing hurling virtually impossible but to Cappawhite’s credit this half marked a much improved display. The backs settled immensely and restricted the visitors to scoring only 3 points in this half while the tireless work of the midfield also helped nullify the attack of the St. Pats forwards. Rionn Doody scored a further 2 points but unfortunately a comeback reminiscent of the previous game against Thurles Sarsfields was never on the cards here and the game finished with a scoreline of Cappawhite with 6 points to St. Pats 2 goals and 15 points. A disappointing result but there was positives in the large number of players who turned out for the game and keeping in mind a further 6 players were not available through injury. Man of the match for Cappawhite was Paddy Julian who once again tirelessly covered ground from the midfield position both defending and creating attacking situations. Youngsters Rionn Doody and Tommy Coughlan also contributed well to the home sides cause.

Team: George Kelly, Patrick Maguire, Tim Meagher, Patrick Barry, Martin O Conner, Donal O Neill, Eanna Buckley, Paddy Julian, Davy Stapleton, Cian Marnane, Paul Fitzgerald, Rionn Doody, Tommy Coughlan, Vincent Barry, Jim O Dwyer. Subs: John English for Patrick Maguire, Niall Hayes for Paul Fitzgearld,  David Orr for George Kelly, Shane Coughlan for Tommy Coughlan Eanna Heffernan for Cian Marnane.  Joseph Carmody, Liam McCarthey, Pat O Neill, Eoghain Ryan.

Senior Huling Challenge cup: Cappawhite 2-09 Lorrha 3-18.

Our senior hurlers were beaten by Lorrha in the Challenge cup on Sunday last 22/3/2015 in Lorrha. We were very slow to start and allowed Lorrha to settle very quickly and were 2-02 behind before we eventually got off the mark with a point from Kevin Stapleton. At this stage we were playing some good hurling and scored a well taken goal from Gerry O Neill after some lovely play from Riann Doody putting him in. Lorrha converted another free and we again got another point from Kevin Stapleton and a free from Gerry O Neill to leave only a goal in it. Lorrha again got on top for the next few minutes and scored 4 points to our 1 another Gerry O Neill free. With the half drawing to a close Darragh Barry scored a point from play and Gerry had another free but Lorrha replied with a free to go in at half time leading 2-08 to 1-06. We might have had the score closer but for some wayward shooting with 9 wide’s. The second half started with Gerry putting over another free but then Lorrha had their best spell of the game putting over six unanswered points before we registered a point from another placed ball from Gerry. Both teams then scored a point apiece before Riann Doody again put Gerry O Neill through for another well taken goal but shortly after Lorrha got their 3rd goal. Cappa did pile the pressure in the closing stages but could not pull back the score and Lorrha finished with a point to leave the final score at 3-18 to 2-09. This is a game where we can take heart that at stages we showed some good touches and got 2 well taken goals but also have to keep our minds focused from start to finish. 

Team; M Buckley, D Stapleton, T Costello, C McCarthy, N Ryan, T Treacy, M O Neill, J McGrath, D Heffernan, D Barry(0-01), G O Neill(2-06), K Stapleton(0-01), R Doody, P Fitzgerald, D O Dwyer. Subs E Buckley for D Heffernan, J O Dwyer for J McGrath and M Ryan(w).   

Under 21B Football West Final. Cappawhite/Sean Traceys  0-05 Rockwell/Rosegreen 0-07.

The Cappa/Treacys combo came up short on Saturday evening last 21/3/2015 in Clonoulty. It was a very tight physical game played in ideal conditions with little between the teams at any stage in the game. Rockwell/Rosegreen started the better team scoring the first 2 points. It was 10 minutes before we got a 1st score from Pat Deegan. We then added another 3 points with 2 coming from Sean Ryan(w) and another from Kevin Stapleton. We had opportunities to increase our lead but our shooting deserted us and with Rockwell/Rosegeen adding another 2 points it left the scores level at 4 points each at halftime. The second half was a very low scoring affair with Cappa/Treacys not scoring until the 25th minute with a point from a 65 put over by  Darragh Kennedy.  By this stage Rockwell/Rosegreen had already  scored 3 points. We did have most of the play but could not convert to the scoreboard. We had six wides in the 1st half and eight in the second. We did pile on all the pressure in the final stages but could not get the breakthrough. It was a strong team performance apart from our scoring and all our Cappawhite players had good games on the day. 

Team J Deegan(ST), Paul Ryan(ST), W Mackey(ST), D Stapleton(C), E Ryan(C), A O Brien(ST), B Carey(ST), P Deegan(ST)(0-01), S Ryan(r(ST)), D Kennedy(ST)(0-01)65, K Stapleton(C), M Feehan(ST), P Carey(ST), S Ryan(w)(C)(0-02), J O Dwyer(C). Subs S Fahey(ST) for J O Dwyer, T Lyons(ST), T Ryan(ST), E Heffernan(C),B Carew(C), D Orr(C), D Fahey(ST), D Buckley(C)and E Ryan(ST).      

Junior Hurling League Rd 1. Cappawhite 3-12 Thurles Sarsfields 1-18.

Our junior hurlers drew with Thurles Sarsfields on Tuesday last 17/3/2015 in Thurles. We were very good value for the point as we came from six points down at half time to get the draw. The game started with Cappawhite getting the 1st point but Thurles then took control of the game for the remainder of the half and went into the final minute of the half leading by a score of 1-10 to 4 points when just before half time Jim O Dwyer scored a vital goal to keep us in touch at the break. The 2nd Half resumed with our opponents again increasing their lead scoring 4 points to our2 to lead by 8. At this stage Cappawhite dug deep and started to outhurl Thurles and with 2 well taken goals by Pat O Neill and another 2 points between the goals we drew level. Then with both teams exchanging points Cappawhite took the lead again for the 1st time since the start of the game with 5 minutes remaining. Thurles again took the lead again entering the last minute but Dean O Dwyer again levelled the game with the final puck of the game. Overall it was a great team performance and if we can keep up this level we should be looking at a good season ahead.

Team G Kelly, P Maguire, D O Neill, P Barry, E Buckley, M Ryan(w), M O Connor(capt), P Julian, N Ryan(0-01), D O Dwyer(0-09f),P O Neill(2-00), R Doody(0-01), T Coughlan, C Marnane, J O Dwyer(1-00). Subs V Barry(0-01) for C Marnane and D Stapleton for P Barry

Cappa/Treacys team V Éire Óg last Sunday

Cappa/Treacys 0-9 Eire Óg 0-8

Cappa/Treacys qualified for the final of the McGrath Oil under-21 B football championship by the narrowest of margins when they defeated Eire Óg by 0-9 to 0-8 at Solohead on Sunday afternoon.
Eire Óg had the advantage of the breeze in the first half, but didn't make the best use of it, They led by 0-5 to 0-2 at the interval.
Both sides exchanged points on the resumption but then Cappa/Treacys scored five unanswered points. Eire Óg got on terms with two points near the end but a late point by Cappa/Treacys ensured them victory.

Cappa/Treacys: James Deegan, Paul Ryan, Willie Mackey, David Stapleton, Eoin Ryan, Andy O'Brien, Brian Carey, Pat Deegan, Sean Ryan (R), Daire Kennedy, Kevin Stapleton, Matt Feehan, Patrick Carey, Shane Fahey, Jim O'Dwyer. Subs: Thomas Ryan for Shane Fahey.

Eire Óg: Evan Heffernan, Gearóid Loughman, Cathal Coughlan (0-1), Conor Devlin, John Ryan, Tom Fox, Michael Bradshaw, Josh Quinn, Donal O'Dwyer, Mike Fox, Dinny Crosse (0-5), Michael O'Brien, Jamie O'Dwyer, Sean Breen (0-2), Peter O'Dwyer.
Referee: David Grogan (Aherlow)

County Board Draw: The draw was held last Friday night in Johnsies Bar in Toem. On the night Johnsie himself received the keys to the Skoda he had won in the previous months draw. It is great to see a local member of the draw win such a prize and hopefully we will have continued success in the coming year. Tickets will soon be on sale and anyone wishing to enter can get details off of any of the Gaa committee.

Local Draw results €100: John O’Neill, Ballyfreen €50: Jo Hannigan, c/o Anne Holmes €50: Michael O’Neill, Ballykiveen Lower €50: Aileen & Paul Crowe, Moanvaun €100: Steve Ashton, Foilaclug €50: Kathleen & Connie Ryan, €50: Hilary O’Dwyer, Philipstown €50: Liam Ryan, Glassdrum

Senior Hurling Challenge Cup: Cappawhite 0-09 Roscrea 3-20. Our senior hurlers had their first outing of the year on friday night the 27th February in Cappawhite. In a game were the score went against us it was nice to see some of our younger players lining out on our 1st team. In the opening five minutes Roscrea got off to a flying start and were leading by 1-04 to 1 point with a score coming from Darragh Barry. For the remainder of the half we upped our game and went in down by 1-11 to 0-06 with Gerry O Neill getting five points. But for a couple of balls taking a bad bounce we could have had two goals at this stage. In the second half again we got off to a poor start and Roscrea punished us heavily scoring 2-04 without reply. With the game over as a contest at this stage our lads could have been forgiven for giving up but instead they knuckled down and showed some fighting spirit and with a bit more hurling under their belts will be more than a match for other teams in the coming months. We also introduced another couple of young players and Riann Doody marked his 1st game at senior level with a well taken point from play in between another two points from Gerry O Neill. Team: Michael R Buckley, Donal O Neill, John McGrath, Ger Ryan, Cathal McCarthy, Sean Ryan, Dean O Dwyer, Paddy Julian, Darragh Barry(0-01), Gerry O Neill(0-07), Donnagh Heffernan, Kevin Stapleton, David Buckley, Michael O Neill, Jim O Dwyer. Subs Noel Ryan for Donal O Neill, Riann Doody(0-01) for Michael O Neill, Mike Ryan for Donnagh Heffernan and Enna Buckley for Jim O Dwyer.